8th ERCOFTAC SIG 33 Workshop
Global Instabilities of Open Flows
June 30 - July 2, 2010
The 8th SIG 33-ERCOFTAC workshop belongs to the successful series initiated in 1999 in Toulouse with the workshop on "Adjoint methods in flow control, optimisation, weather predictions, etc."
The purpose of the present workshop is to provide a forum where new ideas and concepts on global modes and flow control can be openly discussed. Each session will be initiated by an introduction by a leading expert pointing out promising directions of future research efforts, and will be closed by a round-table discussion chaired by the same expert.
- M. Juniper (Cambridge, UK): Bypass transition in thermoacoustics.
- D. Henningson (KTH, Sweden): Model reduction for flow control.
- C. Cossu (IMFT, France): Optimal perturbations and coherent structures in turbulent shaer flow.
- S. Sherwin and P.Hall (Imperial College, UK): Nonlinear unstable solutions and the transition to turbulence.
We invite submission of abstracts on ongoing activities on the following topics:
- linear stability approaches, modal and non-modal theories
- effect of stochastic and deterministic excitations, receptivity
- by-pass transition, experiments and scaling laws
- nonlinear effects, "exact coherent structures", edge states
- control, estimation and compensation
- optimal and suboptimal approaches
- reduced order models, POD, Voronoy tessellation, etc.
La Maison du Séminaire
Francois Gallaire (LFMI, EPFL,, Switzerland)
Jean-Marc Chomaz (LadHyX, France)
Ardeshir Hanifi (FOI/KTH, Sweden)