The ERCOFTAC da Vinci Prize for young researchers is awarded annually in recognition of an excellent PhD thesis in theoretical and applied fluid dynamics and outstanding scientific contributions with engineering relevance. The winner of the 15th da Vinci Competition will be chosen from five finalists during the ERCOFTAC Autumn Festival on 8 October.
Candidates may be PhD students or recent PhD graduates who have submitted their PhD thesis after 1 January 2019 and who have not been nominated in the previous year.
The winner will be awarded the 2020 da Vinci Medal, a certificate and a cash prize of 1000 Euro. The other four finalists will receive certificates and medals.
Each ERCOFTAC Pilot Centre (PC) may nominate up to 3 candidates for the da Vinci Competition. The selected candidates will be required to submit a 3-page summary of their research methods and achievements.The research summaries will be evaluated by international experts selected by the Scientific Program Committee (SPC). This da Vinci Jury will decide on a shortlist of 5 finalists that will present their work at the Autumn Festival, where the final winner will be chosen. Please note that due care should be given to the 3-page summary of the work, as this is all the information the Jury will have available for its decision regarding the shortlist. It is essential that the candidates write the summary independently.
The 3-page summary has to be prepared by the candidate as the only author and should include:
- Title of the work
- Name, affiliation, email address and telephone number of the candidate
- Name and affiliation of supervisor(s)
- Brief summary of the work, explaining the main problem and the main result in a language that is understandable to the general public (less than ½ page)
- Scientific summary of objectives, research methodology, main results and achievements, and if possible a graphical representation. Particular emphasis should be given to novelty and originality of the methods and findings and their applicability in engineering.
- List of up to 5 selected publications and an indication of the total output volume
Travel and subsistence expenses incurred by the finalists will be reimbursed by ERCOFTAC. Prior to participation, the selected candidates are expected to present travel and accommodation plans to the SPC Chairman for approval.